Accidental inhalation of air known as hiccups is caused by the repeated spasms of the diaphragm, the muscle that separates the chest from the abdomen. Hiccups attacks with uncontrolled sound on inspiration, are lasting only a few minutes. Although they bother us, hiccups are not serious, but you can try a range of home remedies to stop them. We often hiccup after we drink a lot of hot liquids or eat a large meal, when full stomach pushes the diaphragm. Often, attacks occur after a long, uncontrollable laughing. But, it does not even exist apparent reason.
Get used to eat and drink slowly. Avoid taking large amounts of food and drink at once, always chew well and avoid stress during meals. The following methods work by increasing the amount of carbon dioxide in the body, which relaxes the diaphragm.
- Inhale and hold your breath for a while, but exhale before you catch dizziness
- Put a paper bag – never plastic – over the mouth and nose and several times inhale and exhale.
- With your finger and thumb press strongly and hold the point on either side of the neck below the skull for two or three minutes, while breathing fast and shallow. This calms the nerve that controls the contraction of the diaphragm.
- Antispasmodic and relaxing effect of peppermint on the digestive system can alleviate hiccups which began because of crowded stomach. Drink tea after a meal.
- Bend your head forward over a glass of water and slowly drink of the opposite side of the cup. This method works fine because most people are breathing less while drinking and thus increases the amount of carbon dioxide in the body.