Antioxidants are substances found in food which are maintaining the health of the brain cells, protecting them from damage that is caused by free radicals. Also, they are improving brain function, including memory. If you already eat five portions of fruit and vegetables per day, plenty of whole grains and other fresh food, intake of antioxidants is probably sufficient. But just in case, make sure your diet contains enough food from the list below:
- Beta-carotene is found in the yellow and orange fruits and vegetables, e.g., carrots and pumpkin
- Vitamin C is in citrus fruits (such as oranges), berries, green and red peppers and leafy greens
- Vitamin E is found in nuts, seeds, whole grains and fatty fish
- Selenium is found in nuts, eggs and whole grains
- Zinc is found in fish, beans and almonds
In order to maintain or increase your memory there are exercises that are keeping the brain active. In addition, it is good to solve crossword puzzles, play games with words and numbers, and make an effort every day to read at least one article in a newspaper or magazine.
Exercise 1: Do you remember?
Each day, try to remember the following:
- What did you think of five minutes ago?
- What did you think of an hour ago?
- What you did yesterday at this time?
- What have you dressed last weekend?
Exercise 2: Children’s game
Ask a friend to put 10 items on a tray. Watch the tray for a minute. Remember everything you see. Then cover it and make a list of everything that was on it. When finished, turn the paper. Then ask your friend to remove one item from the tray so that you do not see. Discover the tray and say what’s missing. Check the list by looking at the items on the tray. Did you forget anything? Have you guessed what is missing? The next time you play the game (with new items, of course), reduce the time for observation for five seconds
And finally, quality sleep is important for brain health and nervous system. Try to sleep six to eight hours per day. Less or more sleep than that will weaken your concentration will make you exhausted and badly affects on your memory.